Make robotics personal and meaningful using materials of choice and multiple programming languages!
The Hummingbird Robotics Kit is an easy-to-use, creative robotics tool which allows students to design, build, and program a personally meaningful robot out of any materials, with any device, in multiple programming languages.
Inspire deep and joyful learning with the micro:bit-powered Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kit! The Hummingbird Robotics Kit is comprised of lights, sensors, and motors which allow students to build a robot out of any materials. The power of Hummingbird is in its flexibility – the same reusable kit can animate a poem, model the human arm, build an autonomous rover, or create a pinball machine. Hummingbird epitomizes a low-floor, high-ceiling approach: absolute beginners can build & program a robot in minutes but continue learning advanced engineering & programming for years.
All Hummingbird Robotics Kits include:
- Free classroom-tested and standards-aligned learning materials, such as programming tutorials, lesson plans, and printable student activities.
- Out-of-the-box compatibility with computers, Chromebooks, and tablets.
- Free software that is tested to work with school IT environments.
- Support for block-based and text-based programming environments, including MakeCode, Python, and Java.
- Electrically protected connectors that allow students to easily add multiple motors, sensors, and LEDs without risk of harm due to incorrect connections.
- Free online professional development, including classroom curriculum integration planning.
- Classroom-ready packaging, including sturdy cases, sorting compartments, and stackable containers.
- Products that have been created and validated by National Science Foundation-funded research at Carnegie Mellon University and tested in classrooms with teachers and students.
These robotics kits are offered in 3 versions:
- Base Kit– serves up to 2 students
- Premium Kit – serves up to 3 students
- Classroom Kit – serves 8 to 10 students
Here are videos of sample projects.